Log, Note, and Report
A selection of data, collected for the purpose of a report.
This includes raw data from any I/O tag
Data is logged using Historian tags, which offer several configurable options.
A process that calculates, filters and summarizes the raw data into meaningful information.
Sometimes you will want to see raw data as it was stored, but most often you will want to filter and summarize the information to see various statistics.
VTScada's Historian Manager provides several tools to process information as it is retrieved. Analytic tags will do that processing before storage.
The presentation of the information in a way that is appropriate to inform a target audience.
Options include the Historical Data Viewer (trend graph), the Reports Page where you can build reports, and a variety of tools to extract VTScada's data for processing and display in third-party programs.
Reports are not only those things created by report generators. This discussion takes a much broader view, where report generators are only one tool of many available to help you turn raw data into useful knowledge. Anything that achieves these three fundamental components can be considered a report. If your goal in creating a report is to take information that's on the screen and put it onto paper, why use a report generator when you can just click the print button?
Choose Your Reporting Solution
Your choice of reporting solution will be influenced by the trade-off between several factors.
- Whether the data for the report is found entirely within VTScada or if it is a mixture of data from several sources.
- The amount of processing required to turn the raw data into meaningful information.
- The amount of formatting required to present the information properly in your reports.
- The skills and knowledge at your disposal. Any given solution may require knowledge of VTScada, VTScada's scripting language, VBA, SQL, and third-party programs.
- The expense you are willing to make for third-party programs that provide either extra features or greater ease-of-use for reporting.
- The time at your disposal for creating customized reports and learning new skills that may be required for a given reporting solution.
Integration With Third-Party Reporting Tools
You have several options for using third-party reporting tools with VTScada:
- VTScada provides a data query add-in for Excel. Use this to connect to your application data and build custom queries that can be further refined using Excel's calculation and formatting tools.
Excel Add-in for Data Retrieval
- If your license includes the Remote Data Access option, you can use any ODBC-compatible program to query VTScada using SQL selection statements.
See: SQL Queries
- VTScada is compatible with XLReporter® from SyTech Incorporated. A datasheet is available from the Trihedral website: https://www.vtscada.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Tech_VTScada.pdf
- VTScada is compatible with DreamReport® from Ocean Data Systems®. A datasheet is available from the Trihedral website: https://www.vtscada.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Dream-Report-Product-Overview-for-VTScada.pdf