Remote access of your system – a look at security best practices.
A headline recently appeared in media outlets in the USA regarding a recent alleged cyber-attack on a water treatment plant in Oldsmar, Florida. As we do our best to respond in a timely fashion, it is important to keep in mind that not all the facts are in. We will all learn more in the coming weeks.
Meanwhile, our response is as follows:
- This was not a VTScada installation.
- This was not a generic attack on all SCADA systems. It appears to have been an implementation-specific vulnerability.
- It was reported that a third-party sharing application was used to access the control system computer.
- Remote access of a control system can be done very securely. Our built-in Thin Clients provide safe, highly secure access when needed.
- Security procedures should be seen as a complete entity and regularly reviewed.
We are here to help
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact your local VTScada account manager or us at firstname.lastname@example.org.